Vegan Millionaire Shortbread
Prep time: 50 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Chill time: 1+ hrs
- 200g dairy free spread
- 100g caster sugar or 70g coconut sugar
- 275g plain flour
- 100g dairy free spread
- 100g light brown sugar (dark brown will work too)
600g vegan condensed milk
- A handful of chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- 200g Ombar Coco 60% (72% Cacao would work well too)
- Preheat your oven to 180C fan, and line a 9x9" square tin with parchment paper.
- Cream together your dairy free spread and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour and beat again till a dough is formed.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the tin, and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden on top.
- One baked, set aside to cool, leaving in the tin.
In a large heavy based saucepan, add your dairy free butter, sugar and vegan condensed milk.
- Melt on a low-medium heat until everything has dissolved.
- Once melted, turn the heat up slightly to a medium heat and let the mixture bubble for 7-8 minutes, until the mixture has started to turn thick and golden. Stir it constantly with a spatula, scraping the bottom to ensure nothing get stuck. Add the hazelnuts in using.
- Pour the caramel onto the shortbread and leave it to set in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Once set, melt your Ombar chocolate carefully and pour over, spreading evenly.
- Leave to set in the fridge until solid, and then cut up and enjoy!